Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Walking on the treadmill

Since I have a few new followers, -hello The Good Luck Duck,- I thought I'd write a few words about how keeping track of the miles I walk on the treadmill is helping to keep me motivated.

I want to be able to enjoy the adventures I am going to have Rving someday.  But it is easier to sit and read blogs than to do the work needed to get there, and as I get older I find I am not in top condition. Walking on the treadmill is good for my legs and my heart.

In general I find it very easy to not exercise at all.  By setting a goal, and recording my progress I seem to do better than just waiting for inspiration.

Reporting miles walked gives me a sense of achievement.  I guess I never did get enough gold stars as a child.

 I also have a tendency to get discouraged about reaching my goal of getting the house fixed up enough to sell it, and getting thru all of the sorting and disposal  of   stuff we have accumulated over the years.

On days when I really feel stuck about the house, I find walking is a better distraction than eating.

Actually I walk and then I eat!

So, I keep this log.  One step at a time,  one project at a time.  It all adds up.



Exercise Goal:
1000
 miles on the treadmill, 

2.5 miles Friday
2.5 miles Sunday     Thinking of  Margie
 mile Tuesday  
Total walked = 265 miles  
Someday I will be hiking 1000 miles in National Parks!

7 comments:

  1. I wish you lived next door. :)

    We could walk together and help each other keep on track downsizing our stuff. I think you're doing better than I am right now, but I DO have a much smaller home, thank goodness! All we can do is keep trying and we'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your downsizing is going very well, just as your walking is. You've set a goal and you're making it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've mentioned before that I sure wish they would invent a portable tread mill. It's so much safer than trying to walk the dangerous highway where I am now.

    Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing great with both the downsizing and the walking. Keep it up and you'll reach your goals before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Merikay, Good progress on your walking goal! You can do both getting the house shipshape and walking! Yes you will be walking a 1,000 miles in national parks one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Setting realistic goals is always a good idea since it gives you some satisfaction when you achieve it.

    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, or send an email.