Tuesday, January 11, 2011

First Daffodil


On Monday, when I was taking some trash out to the cans, I notice this, my first daffodil of the season.

It reminded me to take a moment and enjoy the beauty that is all around me.

Every year, for the first ten years we were living here, I planted at least 100 daffodils.  Most came back up for several years, so I figured at one point I must have had at least 1000.

Then we had a few very dry years and I was too busy in fall to plant.  They began to die off, and now many of the places I had planted are no longer blooming.

  In a few places they continue to come up and do well.  I enjoy seeing them each spring.



I walk to remind myself that I will reach my goal only by taking one step at a time.
Exercise Goal:  1000 miles on the treadmill, 

2.5 miles Friday
2.5 miles Monday
2.5 miles Tuesday
Total walked = 307.5 miles  Aiming for 500 miles by end of March 2011

Someday I will be hiking 1000 miles in National Parks!
Arches National Park, Utah


12 comments:

  1. Daffodils are my favorite spring flower! I'm amazed that you have them coming up so early! Smile at it for me, please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh when you said you enjoy seeing the daffodils bloom each spring. Spring sure comes early in California. In Wisconsin daffodils don't bloom until sometime in April and often have snow fall on them at least once. I am loving your weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lofe Daffodils too and have planted a lot of them at the house in Georgia. They were the only type of bulb that came back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daffodils in the middle of winter?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love spring flowers as well. I'm always jealous when my Mom (in Prunedale) tells me there are daffodils blooming, when we still have snow on the ground. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, nice to see a reminder that Spring is just around the corner. Enjoying your blog!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know zip about flowers, but even I know that daffodils in January are pretty early. Good sign of things to come, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you also plant hyacinths? They smell so lovely in spring. I, also, can't believe you're having spring already! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay, a good sign that spring is on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. For a nice case of synchronicity, perhaps your 1,000 daffodils will bloom simultaneously when you hit the 1,000 mile mark! (That would be way cool.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your lovely daffodils. I love daffodils and I think it'll be awhile before I see any here in Washington so I appreciate the picture.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, or send an email.