Thursday, February 15, 2018

Yes, You Can Take It With You When You Go!

If you live in an RV that is! For me, one of the best aspects of living in our motorhome is we can take almost everything we have with us when we go, on a short or long trip. Our bed, our clothes, our kitchen, my craft materials, and our computers. I don't have to pack or make decisions about what to bring and what to leave behind. 



We were up early, but we took our time getting on the road Monday morning. The 275 mile drive to Lake Havasu City for the Winter Blast Pyrotechnic Festival, was uneventful. We were parked and set up at the rodeo grounds by 4 PM. 



Although this was not an official Alfa rally event, one of the Alfa owners, Dave Volker, worked with the lady who set up the parking, so that the Alfas were parked together. We also had a space for a campfire location. On Monday it was fairly cold and windy and most of us had just arrived so we didn't gather, but as the week progressed, the weather got better and the group grew. We always enjoy sharing technical information and stories with other Alfa owners, and it is fun to have faces to go with Facebook and Yahoo Group names.

Tuesday, Craig and I went over to see London Bridge. We have been through this part of Arizona several times, but have never stopped.



We both remember when in the 60's, Robert Paxton McCulloch who seemed like a crazy man, bought the bridge from the city of London, and had it reassembled in a desert town that had only a few residents.  He also moved his chain saw and outboard motor manufacturing plant to the town.



A dam was built, and he had a channel dredged to divert water from the Colorado River. After a few years, Lake Havasu City became a recreational destination.


What kind of bird is this?
 It was sitting on a post at the bridge.


I am going to have to ask my friend Judy Bell to identify this bird for me. I looked at pictures in my Audubon Field Guide and he looks like a Rusty Blackbird. But the guide shows its range does not include Arizona.  Does anyone know what it is?

On Wednesday we took a hike along some of the many trails in Sara Park. 




From the parking area where we started, there were about five fairly easy trails that seemed to be intertwined. Some had tracks from ATVs.



After about a mile, the trail led into a creek bed wash that was pretty easy to walk.


Craig sat down to rest while he waited for me. I kept stopping to take pictures of all the neat rock formations.



About a mile and a half in,  the trail got a little harder as it went through a slot canyon. Unfortunately by this point my shoulder was beginning to ache and I was reluctant to  go down a steeper place, lest I slip and have to steady myself with the pole in my left hand.

All in all we hiked more than three miles. The weather was beautiful. The rocks were interesting,




but the best sight was the Jeep at the end.  I was really tired when we got back to the rig. But after a little rest, I was ready to enjoy the company around the campfire once again.

RV friends are good.

3 comments:

  1. That is quite the hike! I know what you mean about having your home with you, even though we don't full-time. When we go on trips with the rv it is nice to have a giant suitcase on wheels. Plus it is nice to have 'home' along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup.. I like my own bed, my own toilet, and my own choice of clothes, shoes, sweatshirts (grin grin!) and having my pets along with me wherever I go.... and not be subject packing suitcases, forgetting my personal items, and to kowtow to motel check in and check out times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been there only once about eight years ago. I was surprised at how run doen the area was around the London Bridge. I could go back for the fireworks show:)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, or send an email.